FADE AWAY DAY
Blaise Pascal 1623
Pascal argues that our failure to understand the principles of reality is due to both our impatience and a certain lack of moral imagination.
*Be patient and have moral imagination today.
Dirk Nowitzki 1978
But all Nowitzki needs is a plain, old bicycle.
*Go for a nice leisurely bike ride today. Then play some basketball and dominate like Dirk.
Lou Gehrig 1903
Gehrig’s speech tells anyone who suffers that certain gifts come with the inevitable outcome. A renewed outlook on one’s current plot can offer many a balance to the fear of the final act. It doesn’t make the terror go away. But it offers appreciation for the past joys and blessings, in whatever form they came.
*Appreciate your past joys and blessings today. Think of donating to alsa.org
Freedom is More Important Than Money
*Listen to Macklemore’s “Make the Money” and understand that your freedom is more important than money. Then go shopping at your local thrift shop.
Kathleen Turner 1954 – watch Peggy Sue Got Married
*Think about the changes you would make, if you went back to high school, as you watch Kathleen Turner almost win an Oscar as Peggy Sue.
Zoe Saldana 1978 – Bacaloa a la Criolla with Tostones
“I don’t believe in cheat days because I don’t believe in diets. I try not to deprive my body of anything, because the moment I have just salads and protein for a few days, I crave carbs. But when I eat everything in balance, I think less about food and more about everything else. It’s about eating to live, not living to eat.”
Zoe Saldana’s Bacaloa a la Criolla with Tostones
•2 lb. salted dried codfish (soaked for 12 to 24 hours; change the water at least twice to remove excess salt)
•1 lb. potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
•2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
•1/4 cup green olives, halved
•1 small red onion, thinly sliced •2 green peppers, diced
•1 tsp mashed garlic
•5 plum tomatoes, quartered
•2 tbsp tomato paste
•Salt to taste
- Boil presoaked codfish and potatoes in 4 cups water until fish is tender and flakes easily, about 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a different pot, heat oil.
- Sauté olives, onion, peppers, garlic and tomatoes.
- Add 1 cup water. Let simmer for 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, then add codfish, potatoes, and another cup of water.
- Cook on low heat for an additional 5 minutes. The sauce will start to thicken.
- Taste sauce and add salt to taste. (For more spice, add dash of red or black pepper?or hot sauce!)
*Enjoy Saldana’s bacaloas a la criolla with tostones as part of a balanced diet while watching Peggy Sue Got Married.
SNUB – Paula Abdul 1962
- Be patient and have moral imagination
- Go for a bike ride
- Appreciate your past joys and blessings
- Freedom is more important than money
- Watch Peggy Sue Got Married
- Make bacaloas a la criolla with tostones